Being that I am from one of the greatest cities on Earth...Philadelphia...I take my food very seriously, especially my cheesesteaks. If you've never been to Philly, the first thing you should do is get a cheesesteak and then you should get another one. Not kidding. I love being in the South, but you just can't get a cheesesteak here that's seared perfectly, cheese melted perfectly and sub roll perfectly grilled, like they do it in Philly. (How many times have I said the word Philly so far?) I remember the first time I went to Pat's, one of the iconic places to get a cheesesteak. It was definitely an interesting experience to say the least, but it's one I'll never forget. As I was waiting in line, a man behind me tapped me on the shoulder. I turn around and he has this huge grin on his face. I look at him like, 'Sir, why are you smiling at me. Please stop.' He says to me, " Ma'am have you been here before? I see you don't have your money out and that you're on your phone..do you know what you're ordering?" This man is a savior, and I'll tell you why. At Pat's, which is far better than Gino's in my opinion, if you are not ready to order, cash in hand, they will send you to the back of the line. And I forgot to mention I had been in line for about 30 minutes and was not ready to order, nor did I have any cash out. I watched about 15 people get sent to the back of line. This place is known as a tourist attraction, so you can only imagine how long this line was. Not to mention that there was no arguing with the people at the counter when they send you to the back of the line because half the people behind you are "boo-ing" you out anyway. Well, I can tell you one thing. When I got to the front of the line, I was ready. (Thanks, old man).
But, moral of the story is that I love cheesesteaks and regardless of where I am, I will always find a way to eat them. However, there is a catch. You can't eat those delicious cheesesteaks all the time. There are better and less greasier ways to cook them, but they are still not good for you. Beef, melted cheese (or in Philly, Cheez Whiz) and a thick sub bun amounts to about 1,200 calories. Yes, that is correct. More than half of your daily caloric intake would go to a sandwich that you'll probably finish within 20 minutes or less...disgusting. Well, I found a way to still have my cheesesteak, but not have all those calories.Growing up, my grandma (Grammy) would always make stuffed peppers. She would put rice and beans in them, similar to a Mexican stuffed pepper. I took her recipe and created a Philly cheesesteak stuffed pepper that has all the same favorite flavors, but less of the those fatty calories. Peppers have a lot going for them! They are a great source of vitamins A and C, potassium, folic acid and fiber according to WebMD. I cook my stuffed pepper in a red bell pepper because they have the most nutrition due to the fact that they stay on the vine the longest. The red peppers have 11 times more beta-carotene, which is a rich antioxidant, as well as vitamin C. Added bonus, it's a vegetable! Yay for vegetables!
I love this dish because it gives me a sense of home, but in more ways than one. I talk about feel-good foods in my last post and they are truly one of a kind. It's the kind of food that makes you feel comfortable and warm inside. It makes you think of family and home-cooked meals. When I think of this meal, I think of my Grammy. Although it's not her original recipe, it's still something that makes me cherish our time together. She was one of my favorite people, one of my biggest supporters. I know if she were still here, she would be so proud of me. I feel like she's with me when I cook my Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers and it takes me back home again.
No comments:
Post a Comment