.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Pasta is a girl's best friend

Pasta...we have a love/hate relationship with it. It's such a 'feel good' food, yet it doesn't make you feel so good after a few weeks of eating it. What is a girl to do without her delicious carb-filled pasta?! Well, I'm here to tell you that it's okay to eat pasta!

Now, I'm going to just say that pasta is not on the top of the healthy foods list. It is normally full of refined flours and isn't very nutritious; however, a lot of whole grain wheat-based pastas are becoming pretty trendy and do prove to be better for you. The part that makes pasta so unhealthy is actually not the pasta itself, it's what you put on it. All of those alfredo, cheesy, saucy toppings have a lot of calories, carbohydrates and processed fat, which is why pasta falls to the bottom of the healthy food list. But, it doesn't have to be this way! It's super easy to find good recipes for pasta that can actually be healthy for you and also still give you your daily dosage of greens and veggies. and, most importantly, you don't have to feel bad about it. Win, win.




One of my absolute favorite healthy foods is squash and you can do a lot with it. During the cold, winter months, pasta is the go-to because it feels like home. My mom used to cook up pasta with smoky butternut squash sauce and greens. It is amazing and I'll tell you why. Squash offers serious nutritional value. Not only is it so yummy, but it is good for your body. HELLO?? Isn't that the point? According to Best Health Mag, squash is super rich in vitamin A, which helps your visions, your bones grow and for all you women out there, reproduction. It can also stop cancer cells from growing and lower your blood pressure. Lastly and most importantly, it is a great source of protein. You should have some kind of protein in every meal that you have. It is good for the digestive system and helps to speed up your metabolism.

I love eating this pasta dish because I still get those much needed carbs that I am craving, and I feel really good about the ingredients going into it. If you want to try out this delicious recipe, click the link below.


Smoky Butternut Squash Sauce with Pasta and Greens <------click me!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!!! I am not much of a cook, but you made me want to try this recipe out. I love that it was passed down from your mom.

    ReplyDelete